Wednesday, April 13, 2005

entry numero uno

Hey... I suppose I have to write in this thing quite often. .

The other day at work we got a ridiculous memo from our front office manager. As some of you know, I work at the Best Western 7 Seas in Hotel Circle. The Memo blabbed some nonsense about the driver's commission, referring all tour inquiries to them, and not booking tours. As part of the front desk it is inevitable to have guests ask and want to book tours or rent cars through us. We sell boarding passes for Trolley Tours, Harbor Tours, and arrange for tours of San Diego, Rosarito, and Ensenada. If the driver isn’t there, as the memo mentions, we are to tell the guest to come back when the driver happens to be there, and send them off.

Now, I find it quite ridiculous on a Sat morning, when a guest wants to take the first tour Trolley Tour and get started with the day, that we have to tell them to come back in a couple of hours when the driver is back from doing runs. “Sorry ma’am, I am not allowed to book the tour for you,” thinking: “and i am sure as hell not working to get the driver free commission I wont see a penny of” But I thought it was about the guests’ convenience, not the driver getting commission? With the car rentals, don’t even get me started. I have worked for a guest on getting them a car and when my commission has been dropped off, the driver pockets the money. Why should the driver get commission for work he didn’t do? I just find so much bull in this that it makes me sick. Sure the front desk gets $1 commission on ticket sales, so what? Drivers gets tips from the people they drive. Commission for the work you do. What the hell is so hard to understand about that?