Thursday, July 26, 2007

Turkey - Riddled with Ancient Ruins

I have been back from my travel study in Turkey for a few days now, and am better able to organize my thoughts regarding my experience. 20 days to consume folks! Here is an excerpt from something I wrote the last time I was there, about 3 years ago:


"During my visit to Bulgaria, my friend and I ventured south into Turkey. We visited
Istanbul, a city thousands of years old. Istanbul is such a diverse city that it's almost Impossible to split it up into definable districts. The only real distinctions that can be made between districts is that between the European and Asian sides, which are separated by the Bosphorus and the peninsula lying between the Golden Horn and the Sea of Marmara.

Turkey has exoticism to spare, with its covered bazaars, whirling dervishes, sultans' treasures and Byzantine mosaics. Turkey lies at the crossroads between Europe and Asia. The incredible mix of culture there is amazing.

I have never been so culturally shocked. When I arrived there I quickly realized that the atmosphere in a Muslim country is incredibly intimidating-specially being a woman. Walking down the streets you could hear the chants of Islam emitted by the dozens of mosques in the area. Turkey is an incredible country, rich in culture and history. It was truly a fascinating trip."

(From my old web site: http://liliavilla.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page8.html )

This time around, I wasn't so culturally shocked or intimidated. I think I secretly wanted to go back to confront my first experience here. I don't know if I have just gotten a little wiser since last I visited this country, but I had an interesting confidence while there this time around. Though I had fun the first time, I felt like I was reluctant and uncomfortable during that visit.

This trip was a lot more involved as well. Longer - duh, but also more complete seeing as we traveled down the Aegean Coast. Growing up I was such a Greek mythology freak, so it was pretty awesome to visit some of these ruins. Troy, Pergamon, Izmir (the birthplace of Homer so they say), Ephesus (last home of the Virgin Mary, and where St. John wrote his Gospel/where his tomb is located), Aphrodisias, and Asclepion (Home to the famous physician Galen). Antioch, Halicarnassus, the works! I also was excited to hear the Amazons originated in the North Eastern part of the country...Niiiiice! Shop em boobs off sisters!

We visited NGO's as well...but that's a whole nother story! Everyone seemed in such denial about the Armenian and Kurdish genocides, their high illiteracy rates, the status of women, their Arab heritage, their homosexual population, and the general status of the country. Needless to say they were seriously lacking in all of these departments, though seemingly on a road to improvement. We visited the Purple Roof Foundation, which is the countries only shelter for battered women. The people in general seemed VERY nationalistic; with a die-hard love of Ataturk...I have some opinions about this that perhaps I will shed light upon another time...think happy thoughts Lilia...

Hey if you are bored here are some DID YOU KNOWS about Turkey that I found interesting:

Did You Know This?

Anatolia is the birthplace of historic legends, such as Homer (the poet), King Midas, Herodotus (the father of history), and St. Paul the Apostle.

The Famous Trojan Wars took place in Western Turkey, around the site where the Trojan horse rests today.

St. Nicholas, also known as Santa Claus, was born in Derme/Antalya, on Turkey's Mediterranean Coast.

Noah's Ark landed on Mount Ararat (Agri Dagi) in Eastern Turkey.

Ephesus and Halicarnassus (the place for two of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world) are in Turkey.

Julius Caesar proclaimed his celebrated words, "Veni, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered)" in Turkey when he defeated the Pontus, a formidable kingdom in the Black Sea Region of Turkey.

Three of the 10 remaining icons of the world and according to the belief of Orthodox, Jesus Christ's cross on which he was crucified are in Hagia Yorghi Church.

The philosopher Aristotle lived in Assos for three years.

Writing was first used by people in ancient Anatolia. The first clay tablets in the ruins of Assyrian Karum (Merchant Colony) date back to 1950 BC.

Turks introduced coffee to Europe.

Lydia which is one of the greatest civilizations lived in Anatolia and it's the first civilization which coined money.

The first University in history is in Harran, Turkey.

--------------

I bet you didn't know!:)

**anyway... here is the full list: http://www.adiyamanli.org/did_know_these.htm

My political posting is to come shortly :)

No comments: